Thursday, January 7, 2010

Advances In Modern Technology

My goodness!

So, yesterday I was pulled over by an Iron County Sheriff for a burned out tail light. I wasn't surprised by it. I have been having battery problems for a while now. But I wasn't quite prepared for what happened next.

The sheriff told me to step out of my truck, he said there were some other problems that needed to be addressed. At this point, I kinda assumed what was going to happen...

You see, in September I received a speeding ticket. It took me a while to pay it all off. But I did. However, for whatever reason this sheriff said that I hadn't. I had no proof with me that I had paid it, and he obviously wasn't going to take my word for it. So, away we went to the county jail.

The day before this all happened I had deposited two checks into my checking account. Now there isn't an America First Credit Union in Cedar City, so I have to use a credit union that is on the "COOP" network. This usually isn't a problem at all, but it doubles (sometimes triples) the time that it takes for a check to clear. Tonight this became a problem.

After I had left my truck in the hands of three SUU freshmen to drive it home, and I had found my terribly uncomfortable seat in the sheriffs vehicle I asked the sheriff if we could just stop at the bank and I could take the money out again. He said that wouldn't be a problem. So away we went. The bank however hadn't cleared any of the checks that I had deposited. So although I had plenty of money in the account, I couldn't withdraw any of it. I then prepared myself for a new experience.

The sheriff said he had no choice but to take me to jail. So instead of fighting, I decided to be cooperative. He handcuffed me, and they took me to booking. I was there for about four hours, then they finally decided to move me into holding. The guard that took me in was probably the most unfriendly person I have ever encountered. He didn't bother to explain anything to me. And every question that I asked seemed to kill him to answer.

Around 1:30 am I finally made it to my cell. I quickly learned how uncomfortable jail is. They never gave me any bedding. And my cell mate never quit talking till around 6:30 am. It was a very, very long night.

Morning came. And so did Morgan. She came and bailed me out. I was very very grateful. It was an experience that I never want to relive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment