Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Audience Of One

Well, this week is almost over. I can't believe how quickly this year has gone by already! It seems like it was just barely August, and Morgan Haylee and myself were moving down to Cedar City. Does time ever slow down?!

Last Thursday I was offered a job at the Utah State Hospital as a Psych Tech. I accepted the job. But knew that I would be needing some time to really consider the options that are before me. Let me example you:

I am currently enrolled in two different schools. Southern Utah University in Cedar City, and Ameritech College in Provo. I am doing all my Pre-Dental studies at SUU, and I studied Surgical Technology at Ameritech. I am all finished with the schooling there at Ameritech, and am waiting to get started on my internship. I am still unsure where my internship will be, but I should be starting around the end of March or beginning of April.

I took a leave-of-absence from Ameritech in October. Because I did that, I am on a very tight time frame of when I can get it all finished. When I do start up, I will be working either 10 or 12 hour shifts. Starting around 6:00 am, and finishing in the late afternoon. I will have to be absolutely perfect when I start. No messing around. No showing up late. No leaving early. Nothing.

There are three shifts a Psych Tech at the State Hospital could work. The day shift from 6:30-3:00. Swing shift from 2:30-11:00. And the graveyard shift from 10:30-7:00. The only shift that I would be able to work would be the graveyard shift...if they would allow me to leave an hour early. So, I called and spoke with my soon-to-be supervisor and asked her what my options would be. We had a very good conversation. She told me that she would look into it, and get back with me. So about an hour later she called me back, and told me that she was sorry, but the State Hospital would not be able to accommodate my schedule.

I also had to take into consideration the effect of the job and me leaving SUU. I have some classes online, but a few on-campus too. After speaking with my on-campus instructors I was basically told that if I took the job in Provo, that I would either fail their course or get withdraw from school. Which would mean that my tuition money would've gone to waste.

This was not an easy decision for me. I am basically desperate for a job. I need one very badly. But after many prayers, many conversations with family, friends, instructors, Morgan, and on and on, I have decided not to take the job. Lets hope that I made the right decision. I feel like I did.

2 comments:

  1. Nice piece of writing brother. I hope you know that I care about cha. Sorry this is a rough time. You can always call and talk ta me I hope you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Seth. You are a very good brother.

    ReplyDelete