Friday, February 4, 2011

Reckless Abandon

Life is an adventure. I think that God designed it as such. And for me, it is quite the adventure.

Today started off like any other Thursday...with a few exceptions. Mainly the fact that I woke up at 8:30 and didn't worry about rushing off to work. No, I had the day off. And had a full day of skiing at Mt. Kato planned. So after eating a satisfying breakfast of oatmeal I loaded my tiny car to the brim with my skies and accessories. It being the first time in about a year since my last skiing outing.

I may need to remind you that I had another knee surgery about 1 1/2 months ago. And I didn't really have clearance from my doctor to go skiing yet...but the craving was too much to not take advantage of it. :-) So I wore my knee brace, and planned on being extremely cautious. As much as I thought that would kill me.

Mt. Kato turned out to be fun. But needless to say, a bit dull. Honestly, I was laughing to myself pretty much the full day. (Now thinking about it, I prolly looked like I had just escaped from a mental institution the way I was laughing...) Oh well. I took their version of a Black Diamond run, and skied it in only 7 seconds. That was without really trying. Just skiing. In about a half-hour I had skied the entire mountain. And if you took that Mt Kato link above, then you know that it not a hard thing to comprehend. I went by myself, but kinda made a ski buddy with some snowboarder from Northern Minnesota. We skied for a good number of hours. It was fun to get outta my boring apartment, and do what I love to do. And I can say that I skied safely without injuring (or re-injuring) myself.

On my way home from skiing I stopped at my lawyers office to drop off some papers to him. Walking back to my car I slipped on some nasty ice/slush and landed really awkwardly. I tried to cushion my fall and protect my knee. But ended up dislocating my left shoulder. Along with getting some bad bruises up and down my leg.

This being about the 15th time something like this has happened, I went home and tried to put it back in myself. Four hours later I realized it wasn't gonna happen. So I took off to the emergency room to have them do it. 1 1/2 hours later the doctor was able to get my shoulder back into place. Everyone there was surprised that I didn't want to be put to sleep for it. And that I handled the pain so well.

Sigh... So after being so careful and cautious skiing, I slip in a parking lot and end up in the emergency room. This is why I say my life is an adventure. It makes me think that God really does have a sense of humor. And that He is up there just laughing at all my misadventures. I hope that I am putting on a good show for Him!

1 comment:

  1. He gives you adventures so you won't get bored Ha Ha, very well written. Love ya Josh!

    ReplyDelete