Friday, September 25, 2009

Now At The Last!

Am I too hopefull? Is there such a thing? Probably...but not for me. At least not right now.

Have I ever told you that I love baseball? Because, I LOVE BASEBALL! And currently there is a big battle for playoff spots in Major League Baseball. Have I ever told you that I love baseball?!?!

For a rundown; The New York Yankees are the only team to have won their division and to have secured a spot in the playoffs...lousy Yankees... My team (the most amazing team their could ever be), the Atlanta Braves probably won't win their division. The stupid Phillies probably will take that. BUT, and this is why I am so excited, they are currently only 3.5 games out of taking the Wild Card spot!

Because I am nice I will explain baseball's strange playoff system for those of you who are unfamiliar with it.

There are 2 leagues. The National League, and The American League. In each league there are 3 divisions (the; West, Central, and East). Teams are placed into divisions according to where they are located. For example, the Atlanta Braves are in the East divison. Because they are in the eastern United States. Make sense? The team with the best record in each divison and in both leagues will "win their division" and secure a spot in the playoffs. So accordingly each league will have 3 teams that will be going into the playoffs. But, that leaves an un-even amount of teams. So, the team in each league who has the second best record (not any of the 3 teams who are already in the playoffs) will win the "Wild Card", and earn a spot in the playoffs to play the team with the best record of the other 3. Does that make any sense? I hope so.

So that is why I am so excited for the Braves! They have a very, very good chance to take the Wild Card if they win their remaining 9 games, and other teams lose a few games. I am pretty hopefull. 6 of those 9 games are against the Nationals. And the Nationals have the worst record in baseball. The other 3 are against the Marlins who are also contending with the Braves for the Wild Card. But, my Braves can take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment