Monday, July 19, 2010

Don't Stop Believing

I can't sleep. It's 2:13 am, and I am tired. I have taken some Tylenol PM, but they don't seem to have kicked in just yet. Morgan and Haylee have been a sleep for hours already, but I just kept tossing and turning. So, now I am up. Rather than fighting a problem that should have gone away on it's own...I am embracing it, and making good use of my time. I suppose anyways.

My mind just won't shut off. Thoughts keep running through it. And no matter how I try to dissect them, they just keep coming up.

I moved out to Minnesota to take a job with Immanuel St. Joseph's Hospital in Mankato as a Surgical Tech. The day after Morgan and I pulled into town I went to the Hospital to have my final pre-employment evaluation. I was told that because of my many surgeries that they would need to see if I would need any accommodations in order for me to preform my duties as a Surg. Tech. I told the nurse practitioner that I was seeing that I have never had any problems before in the past, and do not for see any in the future. She told me that someone in Human Resources would get back to me. So I waited. I called HR, and was told that I would need to wait possibly a week for a decision to be made in my behalf.

I waited. I kept believing. I would not even let the thought enter my mind that I might not actually have the job that I left Utah for. Then on Thursday of last week I finally heard back from the hospital. I was told that according the the nurse practitioner that I saw, I would not be able to preform the job without serious modifications. And that the hospital would not be able to make those modifications for me.

Just like that my worst fear was realized. They were revoking my job from me. I was graceful on the phone. But asked what I could do. I was told that my best bet would be to try to get in contact with my (would be) supervisor and try to work something out. I set to work immediately. I would not lose this job. I tried calling, but never reached either supervisor. So I sent an email to them. Never heard back. The next day I decided to just wait at the hospital until I was able to speak with them.

I arrived at Same Day Surgery around 11:00 am. I asked the nurse at the desk to speak with my supervisor. Said that it was me, and just would like a few minutes time. She went and relayed my message. She came back a few minutes later, and said that my supervisor was in a meeting that would last most of the day and wondered if she could just pass along my message. I told her that I would just make myself comfortable, and wait for my supervisor. An hour and a half later the same nurse came up to me, and told me that my supervisor told me to try to schedule a meeting with her and someone from Human Resources for Monday, and we would be able to talk then. I said thank you, and left.

I took this as a little victory on my end. They weren't just trying to avoid me. They were willing to meet with me, and discuss this situation.

I tried several times to reach the Human Resources lady, but without any success. I left a message describing what my supervisor had requested. And now I am waiting.

This is why I haven't been able to sleep. This is why I am still wide awake and writing this story. In a few hours I hope to hear from Human Resources with a time that I will be able to have my meeting. Maybe I am being a little dramatic, but it seems that my future is hanging on the outcome of this meeting. I can only hope that good will come from it. That I will be able to show them that I do not need the modifications that the nurse practitioner wrote up for me. And that I can preform the job perfectly as I am. Believing that it will allow me to be able to walk out of the meeting with my job back. Believing. Hoping. Wishing. Praying.

5 comments:

  1. Josh, I hope all goes well for you. You will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Nephew,
    I did not know you left already.
    I thought we were having a going away party for you.
    You are in our prayers.
    I will put your name on the Timpanogos Temple Prayer Roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, good things will happen for you!!! Just keep believing!!! I love you and support you!!! I know you can do the work, you can. I know you and know how hard you work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things go better soon.
    You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. Sorry Norene, I never had time to have the party...but turns out I would have.

    ReplyDelete